Friday, November 12, 2010


Accountability...
and a Garnet Ring

One week ago I read a post on my friend Gayle's blog, This Artist's Journey discussing her desire to stretch her metalsmithing muscles and get out of her comfort zone. She revealed how easy it was to stay with "what is familiar, easy, comfortable" and how hard it was "to dive into metalsmithing head first without looking back to my beads for comfort." As I read her post it struck a cord deep within me, it was as if she had read my mind!

For a very long time I've wanted to learn how to bezel set stones, and finally this spring I took a metalsmithing class and learned how! It was a wonderful class with an inspiring teacher who taught himself how to make jewelry. He shared volumes of information with the class; it was an opportunity of a lifetime! When the class was finished I felt confident in changing my jewelry designing style. But something happened along the way, self doubt crept in and thoughts of what if I ruin the silver, what if I make another mistake, what if no one likes my designs and how can I risk failure? Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Well, at the end of the post Gayle ask "Anyone with me in trying something new instead of taking the easy way out???" and I just had to respond, I needed someone to be accountable with! My reply in the comments section was, "We were given talent for a reason, and it is wrong not to use it! It is time to get off the sidelines and get into the game! Maybe we should start an accountability group, what do you think?" It was time to move ahead, and not look back!

So here is where the metal hits the anvil so to speak! I've started out slowly with this simple little garnet ring as my first response to the challenge from Gayle! It was inspired by the book These Happy Golden Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. In the book, Almanzo Wilder ask Laura to marry him and gives her a garnet and pearl ring as an engagement ring. Although I do not know exactly what the ring looks like, I am sure it was simple and lovely. This is my little nod to that engagement ring, although it is much more modern in style, it is simple and lovely!

I must end this post with a challenge to you. Are you stuck in a rut with your art? Have you stayed with what was comfortable just because it works, but you dream of doing something on a much grander scale? Well it is time to get off the sidelines and into the game! Find someone to be accountable to, step out of your comfort zone, look for encouragement, and do what you dream of doing!

Your dreams are waiting.....

Blessings,


Heart's Desire Beading Company 2010 © - All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

G.Dowell said...

Debra... the ring is beautiful! I love garnet (it's my birthstone). Thanks for taking me up on my challenge. Maybe we are starting an accountability movement here! I love being challenged!

Heart's Desire Beading Company said...

Thank you Gayle, garnet is my oldest son's birthstone, it could be my mother's ring if I added amethyst. Hmmmm! Another idea!

It would wonderful to get some more people to join our accountability group! If anyone is interested, leave a comment here! I will be sure to respond!

Elegantly yours.....